Sunday, February 26, 2012

Wash away!

Greetings from Ghana!  I’m in a town outside of my training site called Koforidua (sp?) getting my interwebs on.  This Vodafone shop has air conditioning and a flush toilet! It feels so good. 

I’m just going to come out and say it – I’m the dancing oboruni (white person) about town.  It all started when I was learning to cook Ghanaian style and my home stay aunts, grandma, and mama started with the moves. 

“Wash away, wash away” as they simulated a scrubbing motion and threw one hand up to a sound I can only describe as “nooint.”  I think that’s the sound of throwing out the water, but I digress.  I started doing it with them, learned a few more moves, and now whenever they take me anywhere, they have me perform my “azonto dance” for their friends.  It usually ends in howling laughter, but I’m just going to take it as a compliment.  Besides, grandma LOVED when I did the robot and the running man has now become “run away, run away, noint.” 

Speaking of wash away – cleaning anything here is a lot more work.  Hand washing laundry is not for the weak of forearm.  And boy, do Ghanaians scrub!  I’m just going to try to hide from my mom when I wash clothes so she’ll stop telling me “scrub harder!”  My American clothes are used to pampering…sorry, ma.


I also carriedwater on my head for about the length of two football fields on grounds much more rickety.  I didn’t spill.  Two times.  Imagine that.  One trip is the amount of water I use for my two daily bucket baths.  Usually my “sister” or the “small boys and girls” fetch the water, as they are much more skilled, but I need the practice for later.  I will never take a shower and/or running water for granted again.  Ever. 

These adjustments are but a small price to pay to live here in Ghana, and specifically among the people of Anyinasin.  They have been so friendly and welcoming and are providing a nice transition to our lives at site.

Though much of our training still focuses on the culture, we are now beginning to learn a little about our projects and the Peace Corps approach.  I have no idea where I will go (it will be Twi-speaking!) but I know that I will do my best to help the wonderful people of Ghana.  For now, I will continue to practice Twi and work to integrate here in the Eastern region.  Even if it means dancing like a fool.

2 comments:

  1. I am loving ur blog Alisa. Also, I am excited for the opportunity you are embarking on. Best wishes to you in Ghana. I will be frequenting your post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good artcile, but it would be better if in future you can share more about this subject. Keep posting. dumpster rental New Braunfels tx

    ReplyDelete