Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Airport Greetings

Greetings from the Newark Airport!  We've all managed to limit our luggage to about 80 lbs of crap and are waiting for our trip to Ghana. 

As many of you know, I've struggled with what to name my blog for some time. I settled on Ghana with the Wind a couple of weeks ago thanks to my wordsmith friend, Brian.  (Hey, thanks)  Turns out, it's not available as an IP address, so it's <insert name here> in Ghana.  Clever girl.

Admittedly, I've been procrastinating beginning the writing process, because it often feels like there is nothing worse.  Four hours in Newark Airport (with more than two to go!) -- yeah, there is worse. 

While many played games on the floor, a few of us sat and drank.  At an airport bar.  For three hours.  We viewed the modeling photos of one of the servers, spoke much of "hatereade" and got to know each other a bit better.  It was great to find someone else who hates ketchup, except on the occasional burger.  Candied tomatoes?  Bleh.

I can't wait to get to Ghana.  I know that this will be the journey of a lifetime and am excited to learn about the culture, speak Twi, and work with the people.*  I'm happy with my decision to join the Peace Corps -- it's nice to feel this resolved and content.  I'm trying not to set too many expectations about what Ghana will be like, but everything I've seen suggests that this will be an amazing place filled with wonderful people.

To my family and friends -- I love you dearly and will connect with you as soon as I am able when I arrive in Ghana.  It may be a few days though.  Please hang tight. 

Much love,

Alisa

*I plan to embrace the Oxford comma

4 comments:

  1. Alisa, you are such a gifted human being with a figure eight attitude (with no begining nor end).Love, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to read about this amazing adventure!! You have a lot of guts, lady! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got email confirmation that you have made it to Ghana safely :) LOVES YOU

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are a god amung insects. i dont know why thats relevent but magneto said it so its cool. anyway im proud of you and cant wait to hear more of your glorious adventures in the land of ghana!

    ReplyDelete