Monday, February 24, 2014

Eunice's story

Hi everyone!
Just about two months left until I conclude my time here and all is going well.
One of the projects I am most proud of from my Peace Corps service is the mobile antenatal care clinic, or “pregnancy school” which myself, Osei and some of the local nurses implemented. The concept was to bring some of the antenatal care to the pregnant women in my clinic-less village, as well as educate women about various health topics that affect their pregnancy, unborn child, and family as a whole.
Over the course of seven monthly sessions, we educated 43 pregnant women and 15 mothers of newborns about topics including the importance of antenatal care, the baby’s growth in the womb, nutrition, malaria, family planning, HIV/AIDS, protecting and caring for the body during pregnancy, preventing and treating diarrheal diseases, and use of the locally grown super food moringa.
Women came on a regular basis, active and engaged, until their children were born. Some mothers even came with their newborns to learn more about nutrition, moringa and malaria!
I am incredibly proud of this program and thankful for the hard work and dedication of my counterpart, Osei, who often went house-to-house encouraging women to attend, and the nursing staff, who came in every month on a moto on treacherous roads to share their expertise.
I recently wrote a vignette about one of the success stories of the pregnancy school. Here is Eunice’s story:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sharing a one-room house with five children and her husband, Eunice Daboa struggles to make ends meet. Money is tight even after selling the cocoa crop for the year. The debt from the funeral costs for her eldest child have made this even tighter, and her husband’s grief is still visible a full year after the accident in the river.
It us up to Eunice to keep the family together – to cook, clean, help tend to the farm, and care to their everyday needs. Eunice’s own pregnancy, in its second trimester, does not change this. Though Ghana offers free health care for pregnant women, Eunice can’t afford to spend the five cedis round trip to the clinic, so she does not go.
The second trimester of a pregnancy is crucial in all pregnancies, but especially in Ghana. Eunice should be receiving Intermittent Preventative Treatment in pregnancy (IPTp) to rid her body and the placenta of malaria parasites that kill so may pregnant women and unborn children here. She should be having her first scan (or ultrasound) to make sure the baby is developing normally.
And though she has already raised six children, there is still much for her to learn about how to best care for herself, her family, and her unborn child. She may regularly give her husband all the stew that contains the meat and vegetables necessary for her and her baby to be healthy, and she still does not sleep under a mosquito net to help prevent malaria.
After her first attendance at the pregnancy school, we visit her house and discuss the importance of her seeking care at the local clinic. She has already taken the first step by coming to our program, but with limited resources, our nurses cannot perform all the tests and provide the scope of care necessary at this stage of her pregnancy.
Understanding that her poverty is more extreme than most in this “cash crop” village, I give her the money necessary for her transportation and maternal health book. The next day I see Eunice in a car on the way back from the clinic – the nurses have provided her with additional care and a clean bill of health. Despite an exhausting list of responsibilities, Eunice looks radiant.
Without the intervention of the antenatal care clinic, or pregnancy school, we may not have been able to detect and help women like Eunice. She displayed willingness to learn and better the health of her family – hanging the bed nets she received during the distribution and requesting moringa seeds to plant so she may fortify her family’s food.
In January 2014, Eunice and her family welcomed a health baby girl. Mother and baby are both doing well.



 Osei provides Eunice with her bed net at the distribution
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you enjoyed Eunice's story of unwavering perseverance when faced with hardship. I am inspired and humbled by this woman.
A big thank you to Bouvier Rous Eulen, who sent me all of the information she received from the doctors during her pregnancy. It was very helpful in creating the educational materials for the classes!
I will be back stateside in late May after a trip with some pretty great people. Looking forward to seeing you all!
Much love,
Alisa

1 comment:

  1. I'm here to give my testimony how I was cured from HIV, I contacted my HIV via blade. A friend of my use blade to peel of her finger nails and drop it where she use it, so after she has left i did know what came unto me i looked at my nails, my nails were very long and I took the blade which she just used on her own nails to cut of my finger nails, as i was maintaining my names, i mistakenly injured myself. I did even bother about it, so when I got to the hospital the next week when i was ill the doctor told me that I am HIV positive, i wondered where did i got it from so i remembered how I use my friend blade to cut off my hand so i feel so sad in my heart to the extent that i don’t even know what to do, so one day i was passing through the internet i met a testimony of a lady that all talk about how she was cured by a doctor called DR Imoloa so i quickly emailed the doctor and he also replied to me and told me the requirements which i will provide and I do according to his command, he prepare a herbal medicine for me which I took. He message me the following week that i should go for a test which i did to my own surprise i found that i was HIV negative. He also have cured for all kinds of incurable diseases like: Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, Addison's disease, Chronic Disease, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Fungal Nail Disease, Paralysis, Celia Disease , Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscle Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer Disease and so many. Thanks to him once more the great doctor that cured me dr. Imoloa so you can also email him via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or what'sapp him on +2347081986098.. God Bless you Sir.

    ReplyDelete