Monday, March 11, 2013

What I Do

What I Do
I realize I haven’t blogged in a while, and I’ve told you all very little about what I actually do here. Sure, I dance at church, chase adorable children, and laugh with my village friends here, but I also do work. Considering I have been here for more than a year, maybe I should explain what that entails.
I am a community health volunteer working on a Behavioral Change Communication (BCC) project with both a national partner (www.goodlifeghana.com) and a local NGO, though most of my work is separate and done with my awesome counterpart, Osei Nkuah, also known as “Manga” and “Chairman.”
Osei gives a "thumbs up" to the borehole drilling team

Basically, I use the materials provided by the national campaign to educate my community with Osei as my interpreter. I can get around in my local language, Sefwi (and sometimes Twi), but I cannot express the complexity of health issues without his help.
Oftentimes, we go house-to-house and educate people on topics ranging from malaria prevention to condom usage. It always draws a (slightly embarrassed looking) crowd when this white lady pulls out the wooden penis to demonstrate the proper application of a condom. Luckily, most Ghanaians view sex as a funny, rather than taboo, issue and they eventually end up watching and listening quite intently.
I do other educational events in my market town and beyond, but I think the most impactful work is done in the village. I’m their neighbor, their white lady, their Nana Yaa Pomah. They see me every day, so they aren’t as distracted by my pale skin, blue eyes and freckles like the Ghanaians who live outside my village.
About six months ago, I went to my village Junior High School and asked the students if they were interested in joining a health club, where they would learn about health topics from me, then teach them to smaller children. After a few lessons, including hygiene, hand-washing, and interactive decision-making lessons to help these teens make positive decisions about sex and drugs, they told me they were ready to teach.
Eight of the kids divided into four groups and co-taught hand-washing lessons to the primary school kids and seemed to enjoy the work. The younger children learned about how germs spread by shaking hands via baby powder and the older kids were taught a hand-washing clapping / song game created by the fabulous Linda Smittle from my training group.

All-in-all, it was a successful day of school health education and leadership training.

JHS girls practice the song they will teach


I am also working with my community and the local government to build a clinic via concrete donated by the district, community labor provided by the village, and eventually, a nurse and small staff provided by Ghana Health Services. This is a large project to undertake, and my main role is to serve as a liaison between the government and the community. So far, the village has spent a community labor day clearing the bush with their machetes and we are now waiting for the district to bring the bulldozers to level the area. The community is excited about the project and ready to do the work – wish us luck!
I think that’s a nice little snap shot of some of the work I do in my village. Hopefully, I can keep you all posted more often.
Kisses to America, I miss it so!

2 comments:

  1. im so very proud of you and strive to be as giving and selfless as you. keep up the good work and i hope to see you soon. with love jeff olen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so proud of you! You are personally making the impact most of us wish we could make.

    ReplyDelete